The Continuing Adventures of Mon and Waz

The Adventures of Captain Warren and First Mate Monica. Having completed America's Great Loop in 2014, life doesn't slow down for these intrepid travelers. Each year brings new challenges; some good, some bad, but challenges nonetheless! 2017 sees them renting an apartment while 'Untide' is For Sale. Life on terra firma isn't all it is cracked up to be, but more change is in the wind. Read on for the latest!

Monday 4 January 2016

#1 Cast is off and #2 cast is on...Progress In Hand!

I couldn't keep these gruesome photos to myself... I had to share, didn't I?

I almost fainted in the Dr's room, it was so hot, and they had to bring me a large cup of cold water!
You see...it is cold outside, which means that the offices everywhere are HOT from the heating, where they are normally places of refuge from the heat outside. Cant win in Florida...either hot or cold! This IS winter after all:)

As you were....
The gruesome photos!

Today, being the 2 week mark for my hand surgery, it was time to take out the stitches...and it hurt! yes, it HURT! I usually don't have a problem with the removal of such things, but I had to ask the Nurse practitioner if I was properly 'cooked'! She had never heard that terms before...and was somewhat puzzled by it...healed sufficiently??

Yes, was the answer to that one!:)


Sooo...drum roll..... The cast is off, and the big reveal is about to happen! tada!

Before the pretty blue stitches came out. This is the Carpel Tunnel scar.


Side wound is about 1 1/2 inches long, and the one on top is about 3/4".


 Stitches all gone!

 Looks a bit gruesome...so they covered it all up again! thank goodness!:)






All ready to get my custom polymer cast. I had to wait almost 2 hrs for this. It was in the oven cooking. It was very hot when the technician put it on my hand, but it cooled very fast. We had to get it into the correct shape/posture before it cooled too much. I'm not happy with the posture of the thumb, but I get no say in the matter!:)


 The dial on top is to 'screw' the cast tighter:)

I am allowed to take it off to shower, but nothing else. Phew. I hope the weather continues cold, because this thing will be HOT in the sun. There is a cotton 'sleeve' underneath, fortunately.

Well, that is all the excitement for today:) Night!

2 comments:

  1. You guys give yourselves are hard time, Hope the New Year brings better health. We are back in Oz, return late Feb, all the best from both of us. Colin and Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you two. Hope you are enjoying the heat wave at home:( Lovely and cool here...65F in the salon right now..perfect!

      Delete