The Continuing Adventures of Mon and Waz

The Adventures of Captain Warren and First Mate Monica. Having completed America's Great Loop in 2014, life doesn't slow down for these intrepid travelers. Each year brings new challenges; some good, some bad, but challenges nonetheless! 2017 sees them renting an apartment while 'Untide' is For Sale. Life on terra firma isn't all it is cracked up to be, but more change is in the wind. Read on for the latest!

Saturday 29 March 2014

Thunder and Lightening and ...

...rain and Air Shows don't go together.
We have enjoyed watching the old bombers et al flying overhead since we have been back on the boat. What a shame it is raining today! No planes in the air today, and we were all so looking forward to some fantastic displays by the Thunderbirds, which we have seen in close formation flying, during the week. Perhaps that is all we will get to see?
Lightening, a minute ago, and the thunder seemed to go on forever.

So, tell me....why did I choose to clean the inside of the boat on a day when it is hot (79F inside) and humid...close to 90%, I would say...and especially when the south wind is blowing the water into the canal, and the boat is moving a whole lot? Vacuuming up forw'd was almost unbearably hot, with no windows being able to be opened, and the front of the boat bouncing up and down. This is a 55,000lb boat, so you might imagine the force of the water being blown into the canal that is making us rock and roll so much. Of course the water is now super high at high tide, and the water looks like it could breach the seawalls along the residential lots. It wont, but it sure is sloshing onto the private docks. We had a similar occurrence not so long ago and I took the following photos then.

You can see the water comes up to the bottom of the support beams on our dock.

This neighbors yacht looked like it might float out of it's cradle


Just across the canal from the boat, the bottom step on the right is totally covered.

Looking down the canal...she looks just like that today.

And..repeat, today!
 
It is raining pretty steadily now and the thunder just keeps rolling.
 
At least the boat is clean!:) but washing the floors was a stupid move, when there is so much humidity, coz they just don't want to dry...so here I am wiping them dry, only they don't want to dry! hmmm....fans are on, and hopefully they will dry over time.
 
We did a Sam's Club run yesterday afternoon, after putting it off for a couple of days. Out of berries and other fruit that we light to buy there, we decided at around 2.30pm, we would make the journey.
 
We found some nice fresh Tilapia fillets, which I portioned and put in the downstairs freezer, and two sides of Trout (Steelhead Salmon, by another name) which were also cut and portioned and frozen...except for last night's dinner.
As we don't eat potatoes or white flour starch any more, we have to be creative with our 'starch-type' vege. We really like the Zucchini Pasta' I make, and last night, instead of the wide 'noodles' I usually cut, I did 'spaghetti' cut. It is easy to do with the right tools! When we were in New Orleans, at a supermarket there, we picked up two 'cutters' that do the job nicely. First up, in the pot, is the fresh asparagus. No carbs and no sugars, this lovely veg is fantastic for those of us seeking fibre and lots of other goodies. I just saute the washed tips and ends in a little butter with sea salt added last. Yum!
 


The raw zucchini in 'spaghetti' mode...
 
 
 
The salmon goes into the hot pan with the left overs from the asparagus, skin side down, until you can just see the salmon cooking, along the sides. It then gets turned over, the skin removed and the capers and cream (1/2 cup) are added, and the 'spaghetti' placed on top to steam.

Eventually I mix the spag in with the cream and grind some fresh black pepper and sea salt into the mix...By the time the cream is sufficiently reduced, the spag, and the salmon is cooked. .Dinner in one pot! I love it.


A simple, great tasting meal, with asparagus on the side. Light and all good for you too!:)
 
As much as I like making one pot dinners...too lazy to make complex ones, I guess...I do occasionally welcome a Pork or lamb roast...both of which we haven't had for some time. I must remember to find some lamb and roast it, before we leave Florida.
Something we have rediscovered, is the baked sweet potato. Sweet and with plenty of fibre, they are and excellent, healthy starch. I often steam them and then toss in olive oil with sea salt to make home made 'chips'.
The other night (sorry, forgot to take pics) I made a cauliflower 'risotto', which was delicious.
 
I sauted  finely chopped 1 onion and a whole cauli full of florets (also finely chopped) in a small knob of butter. I then added spring (green) onion, and baby spinach and mixed them all together with some frozen peas. When all the veg had sweated for a bit, I added half a cup of heavy whipping cream and bubbled it until the risotto was tender , the cream reduced and it was ready to eat. To make it more colorful and healthful to eat, I added a handful of grape tomatoes to the plate, before serving. The risotto was delicious, filling and something I will make again. It is often a matter of looking in the fridge to see what moves me to make. Eating in a new way keeps me on my toes, and of course there is the added incentive of weight loss!:) Having lost the equivalent of two dress sizes, I want to keep the momentum going. It works!
 
As I write, we are watching a gardening show on TV. hmmm...How I wish I had a garden to get out into, today. I think it is the pottering around on the property, that I miss. Somehow, cleaning a boat just doesn't have the same appeal, lol. Making, growing and doing things that yield other things, is much more satisfying. It looks like I need to get on the road, doesn't it?
 
Waz has been busy down the 'hole' that is the engine room...painting, fixing and making like new and all kinds of awful smells are coming back up the hole...It eventually dissipates, but it isn't nice while it lasts. As I think I have said many times before....just when you think you are on top of all the challenges, another comes to visit! bah!
 
With the not so nice weather, we have had some interesting evening skies. This one (sorry about the power pole and lines, folks) was interesting...that is the setting sun..not the moon! and the clouds looked a bit like Ice-clouds, which I have photographed before. I doubt that these are ice clouds, but they were good enough to take a picture of .
 
 
And that, my friends, is that. Im going to enjoy a cup of coffee now and maybe watch a movie before dinner with Len and Stef...maybe. He has his head under the sink in the bathroom, right now. We aren't the only ones with the never ending fix-its!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment