The Continuing Adventures of Mon and Waz

The Adventures of Captain Warren and First Mate Monica. Having completed America's Great Loop in 2014, life doesn't slow down for these intrepid travelers. Each year brings new challenges; some good, some bad, but challenges nonetheless! 2017 sees them renting an apartment while 'Untide' is For Sale. Life on terra firma isn't all it is cracked up to be, but more change is in the wind. Read on for the latest!

Thursday 12 June 2014

Decisions, Decisions!

We watched, this morning, as two of our nearest anchored neighbors pulled theirs up and went north and down the channel to the Atlantic. We monitored their progress on the radio while they communicated with each other, and checked  in with them once they were out  to sea. Their talk between themselves was reiterating how challenging the channel out had been, with the easterly wind blowing waves straight down the canal. They didn't want to do that again, they said.

We made the decision to have a leisurely breakfast, then go and refuel, around the corner at Miss Chris' Marina, while the tide was in our favor...just. We would make the final decision as to whether to attempt the outside passage, once we were full of fuel and water.

At around 10am, we up-anchored and turned into the river for fuel. Just as well I wasn't in the pilot house, coz Waz said there was only 3.9ft of water under us as we docked. He was somewhat concerned about getting back out again, because of the time it takes us to fuel up. As it turned out, their pump was relatively fast, in the scheme of things, and we simultaneously filled with Diesel and water...one side each. We asked for and got, two discounts...one for Boat USA (.10c), and the other was for cash (0.05c). It wasn't a lot of savings, but it all counts in the end tally.

We were very frustrated at not being able to raise the marina on Channel 16 and then 9. There was no answer. We discovered that the dock master on duty was a bit casual...explains it all!  He didn't really help us in that well, with a head wind, but insisted on telling me, while I was giving him directions as to how to tie us up...that he knew what he was doing!! lol..could have fooled me!

 On leaving, I was too busy getting the ropes and fenders in to worry about water depth, but I didn't hear any swearing from the pilot station, so assumed we had more water going out....he took a different track, going out.

You cant see the beginning of the river, but that one at the very bottom of the screen , back under the bridge, is where we had to go for fuel. Spicer Creek Canal. This chart is from our entry on Tuesday afternoon.
 
I took these photos as we came into the Harbor, Tuesday...this is the river, and the first lot of boats on the left, is where we got fuel.
 
 ...where the blue bottomed boat is...we anchored on her Starb'd side (right).
 
As we re-entered the Harbor, there was a large fishing boat pulling into the channel to go out to sea, and we made the snap decision to follow in her wake. This would somewhat break the waves for us as we went out through the breakers at the entry to the Atlantic Canal...or so we thought.
Maybe it did, but you wouldn't have noticed!! lol
 
Winds were supposed to be 10-15 knots out of the east. Waves were supposed to have been 2-4 feet. WRONG!!!
 
The minute we hit the breakers at the entry to the canal, we got a taste of what was to come.
No way were those waves less than 6-8 feet, and some of them were over that!
 
I thought I had prepared the boat pretty well for the ocean, but soon things were heard crashing, downstairs. Waz was on the fly deck...best visibility from there, and I descended to the kitchen to see what damage had been done. Things had flown, a bit...a bit....so I just threw everything into the sink, as Waz yelled.."A BIG ONE!!!" and I braced myself for the big one.
 
I had to laugh at myself (well, you do, don't you??) spread-eagled at the cooktop, legs wide, hanging on for dear life, as we first went up, then DOWN with a great shuddering of the boat....He gave up warning me of the next ones...I could see them in the windshield, from the Pilot House. I stayed there, hanging on for dear life, until I got directions from he who has to be obeyed at the best of times....
It was pretty rocky rolly and I got the call to go upstairs...challenging in these conditions. All you can do is put your back against the wall and slide up.
The drinks fridge was about the make its way across the fly deck floor. Fortunately the tomatoes and basil in their containers, were staying put!:)
 
I sat on the floor with my legs out to keep the fridge in it's hole. I stayed there, rocking with the boat...actually is was THE best place I could have been. Back against the pilot seat, just about right in the middle of the boat. I like the middle!!
 
Made a mental note (didn't need to tell him at that juncture!) to fix the fridge in place, before we set off again.
 
15 mins into this nasty stuff, the Captain made the decision to pull the plug, as it were. Going back in was a breeze, by comparison...with the wind and waves at our back, we fairly surfed back into the canal. Thank goodness we didn't continue.
 I didn't think I could take 6 hrs of THAT kind of weather and wave action. Just too hard on the boat and us. I was exhausted already. I think Waz was also, as he is napping beside me, right now.:) He might never say he is tired, but the adrenalin courses through his veins too, I know!
 
Strangely (Robyn, you will appreciate this), I didn't feel nervous about going, in the first place. It might have been better if I hadn't had a taste of what COULD happen out there...and I can imagine it gets a LOT worse than that.
 
We put down the anchor again, not far from where we left, this morning. A coffee was sought and consumed, and everything put away safely. We are happy to be sitting safely away from the wave action.
 
The next weather window looks to be Sunday. I think we will take a day off tomorrow and go into town with our cameras so that we can document (for y'all) the loveliness in Cape May.
We wont be in any kind of a hurry to go anywhere , especially with only a one mile visibility reading...sea fog is everywhere...and 6-8 ft waves.
 
It is 3.45pm...I may just join the Captain in taking a nap!
 
 
On our way out to sea, leaving the safety of the Cape May Harbor.
 Perhaps one of the first clues, for us without stabilizers, of the kind of waves and wind we would encounter, was the fishing vessel putting out his 'wings' for stability.
 At the entrance to the Sea channel to open water...almost no visibility! Choppy water I here, with rolling swells turning to large waves straight over the bow.

That's it for today, folks.

Recreation tomorrow...I aint goin' nowhere!!!:)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment