The Continuing Adventures of Mon and Waz

The Adventures of Captain Warren and First Mate Monica. Having completed America's Great Loop in 2014, life doesn't slow down for these intrepid travelers. Each year brings new challenges; some good, some bad, but challenges nonetheless! 2017 sees them renting an apartment while 'Untide' is For Sale. Life on terra firma isn't all it is cracked up to be, but more change is in the wind. Read on for the latest!

Sunday 17 May 2015

Husband Back on the Boat! Yay!

WOW, what a week!....and now we are into the second week post-op.

Waz stayed in hospital from the 8th through the 11th, . ..but let me back up the boat a little here.


A few photos to set the scene...you know....the food (always interesting!) etc.
Having not eaten for almost 30 hrs, he was hungry enough to eat a little of this...
 It smelled horrid! and looked horrid!


This one was chicken stew thang, and at first we thought the yellow was lemons, but that didn't make any sense. There was always going to be rice in the bed after this meal...such as it was!




Monday morning I appeared around 11am-ish, after I sent Waz a text to ask if I needed to bring his clothes, and was he being discharged. Yes, was the reply. I knew it might take a while, but went anyway. At 1.30pm I decided to leave and get me some lunch and come back to the hospital when he had been wheeled down to the lobby in a chair.

I got back into the car, wound down the windows to get rid of the hot air and put them up again as I got underway. As my drivers door window went up, something went clunk and pop and the window rapidly went down again..bah! I assumed the motor had just given out!

I drove straight to the Honda dealership at the far end of town (opp. to the hospital, of course) and found out that it would take another day for them to order the parts...and by the way, did I know I had two broken engine mounts? What do they do? Go around the car looking to make a buck on things you might not have noticed?  Yep! As my car salesman son says "Mom, these are the money making centers of any dealership" - the Service dept. I figured, but I also knew we had been squeaking where we shouldn't and it was something Waz said he was going to look at, back in December!!! So I said, go ahead and replace them! sheesh...$1200, thank you! MORE expense.!

Meanwhile, instead of leaving the window in the door and jamming it  UP, they took it out altogether, and left me, in this 90F heat, without a window, after I told them I had to pick my hubby up from the hospital. I couldn't leave the car without a window coz I couldn't lock it! They gave me some plastic to tape over the window hole..duh!

Waz called to see where I was, and I parked long enough to find him being wheeled into the lobby.

Oh happy day:)...maybe!

Our financial travails were just beginning....with the hospital and the Insurance Company. DO NOT...I repeat DO NOT volunteer to pay for anything up front if you have an insurance company. Hindsight is always 20/20!

I need to take a break here, we have to go to Sam's Club for supplies...more later..


Later>>

The heavens opened up just after we arrived at Sam's and we were safely inside. It appears that this is the norm for summer here in Sth West Florida. Hot and humid in the morning, then a deluge to clear the air. It was VERY hot today!

Back to the Hospital and Waz....

We made it home safely with the patient, and not before we went via the Surgeons office to make an appointment for follow-up, and then Enterprise Car Rentals where we rented a Nissan Versa...pretty cute and peppy! for the next day. The Honda had to go back to the dealership to get it's new window motor installed and the new engine mounts. They accomplished that in about 4 hrs, total, just in time for us to return the rental car and go back to the Hotel. Oh, I didn't mention that we had an Hotel room? gosh!
Waz got lots of naps!...we had to make an appointment to meet in the middle of the HUGE bed:)

Upon leaving the hospital, Waz had arranged to spend two nights in the Wyvern Hotel in Punta Gorda, just across the Peace River, and 10 mins from the boat. This was because he wasn't able to get back onto the boat ...yet! Another two nights of healing, and he felt better able to stretch to get back onboard. We did enjoy our two nights there, eating in the hotel the first night and the second night we drove down Hwy 17 to Phil's Restaurant, which was forgettable.

Our day time hours were spent dealing with hospital 'stuff' and moving forward with our plans to leave Florida. Planning is in the works at this stage.

Back to the boat on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment