The Continuing Adventures of Mon and Waz

The Adventures of Captain Warren and First Mate Monica. Having completed America's Great Loop in 2014, life doesn't slow down for these intrepid travelers. Each year brings new challenges; some good, some bad, but challenges nonetheless! 2017 sees them renting an apartment while 'Untide' is For Sale. Life on terra firma isn't all it is cracked up to be, but more change is in the wind. Read on for the latest!

Tuesday 17 September 2013

On the road again...

Before I tell you about tuesday 17th, Sept. I have to tell you about last night, after I left you!

Waz and I sat outside until the light would no longer let me read, then he turned on the cockpit light so I could finish my book. It was lovely sitting out in the breeze, watching the twinkling lights as it grew darker. We werent that far from shore, but far enough away for people not to see us skinny showering on the duck board...well, unless they were REALLY nosy!
We had decided to give it a go..sleeping, that is...without the Aircon on. I know I had said that I wouldnt sleep without it, but being the trooper I am (yeh riiight!:) ) I said I would get the Vornado fan down in the bedroom and sleep with that on full knackers all night.
I took a painkiller, as my rib was killing me, and thought I stood a better chance of a good night's sleep with it's help.
1am, I am awake. It feels like a sauna in the bedroom. Waz was sawing wood (snoring) so I dozed off. I was aware of him getting out of bed not long after I woke, and he told me just now he heard a noise up top and went up to investigate. We have alarms on doors and hatches, now, so nobody can surprise us in the night without us knowing...alarmingly! ha!

3.04am...I know the exact time! I had to get up. The heat was unbearable. We hadn't opened the portholes for some reason, and I would wake Waz if I did so, then.
I opened the windows in the salon and made myself comfy on the settee with the fan blowing. I must have dozed, but my ribs woke me and I decided to give the bed another try. That one didn't last long, and I was back upstairs and comfy on the settee again. I slept with a breeze from both the window and the fan on me. :) I heard the alarm at 6.30am, but couldn't seem to open my eyes.
He berated me for not waking him up to turn on the Genset and then the aircon. I didnt want to interrupt what was obviously a deep sleep. Next time?:)
We had decided on a very early start because it was a good 50 miles to our second anchorage.

 We left Offatts Bayou without incident, taking the right channel through the red buoys this time, and made it under the bridges and into the ICW channel. Ahead lay this sight. Parked Tows and one getting underway, and turning, just ahead of us. We were steaming along at 9+ knots and enjoying the early morning.




A shrimp boat was out early this morning. You can see ships entering the channel behind it!
This was our next obstacle...a HUGE container vessel steaming along at around 14knots, at least, and crossing our path. We throttled back to allow it time to pass, as there was going to be no way we could beat it to the center point where two channels meet. We are on the ICW channel at this stage, and had to cross the Houston Shipping Channel to get to the other side and the Bolivar Peninsula which marks the beginning of our 'official' journey.
Here we are entering the ICW at the beginning of the Bolivar Peninsula. The fishing fleet is large and reasonably well kept.You can see the Tows on the left hand side and down the middle of the channel. This was all a bit daunting for our start to the ICW, per se.

The Lighthouse at the shipping channel end of the Peninsula


The first of the tows we had to pass. We knew the protocol, so the rest was easy!
You hail the tow by name on channel 16. You identify yourself as a Motor Vessel on his stern, and ask the captain which side he would prefer that you pass...One is HIS starboard side, Two is HIS  Port side. This related to the horn. One toot indicated "I am turning to Starb'd". Two toots indicated "I am turning to port".
So, if he says, "Pass me on the one", it means we turn to Starb'd and pass our port to his starb'd. Got it?

This is the entry to the ICW at the point where




Some of the larger fishing boats anchored and barged just inside the ICW., on our Starb'd side.


Passing the first Tow

More Tows behind us


Homes across the gorgeous Marshes on Bolivar Peninsula

More tows up ahead

One of the more stunning homes on the ICW

You find fisherfolk almost anywhere with not another person, home or vehicle in sight. Makes you wonder how they get there and where they come from.


Imagine our surprise when we say this herd of Texas Longhorn along the ICW banks! Why? because we had been passing marshlands for so long, we didnt realize there was Ranchland nearby.

This fellow got mad at us, and motioned for us to slow down, while he retrieved his crab-pots.
You can see the white ball on the far right side? That indicated crab pot. They are the bain of boater's existence. The lines get wrapped around props so easily!

I love this solar water pump for the animals watering hole.

Oil derricks about...yes, in the most inhospitable places that are seemingly inaccessible also.

The state Govt. is protecting the swamp with these rock break waters.

This Tow is pushing Five...yes 5, large barges.

I think these folks are Parks and Wildlife Rangers...on their air boat. they have to wear ear protection, those things are SOOO noisy...fast, but noisy!
...and totally cool!

 We are leaving this double tow in our wake, but she was a challenge to pass. She is pushing sideways because of the windage of the barges, and the wind was blowing about 15 knots.

So, here we are, sitting in a little arm off Taylor Bayou, almost at Port Arthur, Tx. We have a little way to go to the Louisiana border, and though people said it would be boring, we had plenty to keep us occupied. the marshes are gorgeous, and with polaroid glasses on the greens are stunning with the light behind them.
I didn't have time to take 'real' photos, but some time I will get the Olympus out and do so. These are just for the record, for now.
We are looking forward to an uneventful evening and night, parked up in a middle of a Bayou with no traffic.
We just consumed an Irish Cider, Hornsby is the brand...hard and crisp and 5.5% alcohol. Waz put away a Heineken...I think he deserved it:)
I am making some scallop (frozen) and linguine with white wine pasta tonight. Something light with a salad. We have three more nights to go after this, so we are enjoying eating 'out' as it were, on the cockpit deck.
We did two loads of washing and they are drying on the line in the late afternoon warmth.
Waz has taken some photos of the lovely dragonflies that have been around since we entered the marshes.
The aircon and Genset are off for now, and will only go back on to cook, and then to sleep. I need a good night's sleep tonight.
We have 50 miles ahead of us tomorrow. There  will be a lot of Tows in the water tomorrow, but I am getting good at hailing them and asking to pass. Perhaps they like to hear a woman's voice for a change?
The light is waning at 6pm, so it is time for me to fire the cooker up and get cooking.
All batteries are charged for the morrow of photo taking.
Waz has his feet up and a book in hand, so he is set, after a short nap.
Ciao for now, Amigos. Talk to you tomorrow.








No comments:

Post a Comment