The Continuing Adventures of Mon and Waz

The Adventures of Captain Warren and First Mate Monica. Having completed America's Great Loop in 2014, life doesn't slow down for these intrepid travelers. Each year brings new challenges; some good, some bad, but challenges nonetheless! 2017 sees them renting an apartment while 'Untide' is For Sale. Life on terra firma isn't all it is cracked up to be, but more change is in the wind. Read on for the latest!

Tuesday 4 February 2014

What to do on such a gorgeous day?

Visit the Peace River Bird Sanctuary, of course!:)
We had intended to return for some time, and the light wasn't quite bright when we left the boat this morning, so perhaps it would be perfect for photos? Well, wouldn't you know it. By the time we arrived there, the sun was shining and the car registered 82F. I have to say that the temperature rose to 86F by the time we left, at around 12.30pm, 1 1/2 hrs later. HOT!
We had left the fan on in the boat, and it was still relatively cool when we returned. We didn't need to put the aircon on though as I lifted the back curtain just enough to let the breeze come inside. Lovely:)
The usual suspects were in residence at the PRBS, so we went looking for some new ones. No new suspects, unfortunately, but we did get some excellent photos to take home.

I took my Olympus camera this time, something I haven't done for a while. Well, a LONG while, actually, and it was great to get behind a 'real' camera again. The little canon Powershot is so easy to use and fits into my handbag, so it is the first cab off the rank, as it were.

The birds in the 'pen' were all preening when we arrived, which was a good time to arrive!





That beak is an awesome weapon!

My favorite subject, the Great Blue Heron.




 
It is breeding season at the PRBS, and so there was much cackling from the Brown Pelicans.
 



This Peli has different coloring from the rest. Rather lovely:)

The squirrels eat the Cranes food, lol.

This gorgeous creature is a Sand Hill Crane.
Their plumage is so soft and lovely.
 
We went outside to see if the Blue Heron that was nesting on the pole, which we saw last time, was still on the nest. Not today, but the baby was there, and is a long legged youngster, now. Sorry, no photos!
 
We walked over to the beach afterwards, and found quite a few sun worshipers. I don't know how they stay out in the heat, frankly.
 
Put the brolly up, mate!

 
One of the things I have been
'meaning to do' for the longest time, is sort my photos and rename the files. Sheesh! What a job. over 20,000 photos to sort through. Well, I'm not going through ALL of them right now, just kind of sorting them into rough categories. Once that is done, then I will get them into more subject type files. I probably have access to some App that will do that for me, but I have all my photos filed by date, right now. Doesn't help for anything other than the Loop. I am also sorting those ones too, which means keeping the date and adding the location to the file name. Seems to work well, for now.
 
That was my job for the rest of the day. Unfortunately I couldn't sit outside in the breeze, as there is too much light on the screen, but I can sit next to the door, which helps.
 
I bought a new cookbook not so long ago...yes, I know...silly to add that to the boat when I can just google what I want to know, but I get inspiration from reading the recipes and looking at the pictures. Mostly the latter:)
 
My inspiration tonight was the use of Zucchini ribbons instead of pasta to go with the stroganoff.
 
I brought home the other half of my Prime Rib, which we had at JD's Bistro, last night when we went there with Stefie and Len. We hadn't spent much time with them for a while, so it was good to catch up. Busy people!!
 
I cut some chunky bacon (bought last week at Sam's club) and sautéed it with half a sweet onion, some chunky cut mushrooms and finally the very thinly cut prime rib. I had used a thick cutting potato peeler to 'peel' the strips of zucchini, and had them waiting for the last moment to add to the top of the pan.  After adding the sour cream and bringing it to the boil, I laid the zucchini on top to steam with the lid on. Meanwhile the sour cream thickened and all was ready to serve. I didn't need salt or pepper, as the bacon had done the job.
 
The ribbons laid on top of the meat with sour cream.

...and of course we had to have Brussels sprouts with it! Yummy meal and good looking too!
 
We have been watching 'Killer Women', on Waz's computer while Im writing this...and now it is 9.30pm, and time to go walking. It has taken two whole weeks for my ankle to feel strong enough to walk very far, but it is still swollen around the bone and more so if I stand all day on it. I am hoping that there isn't something bad wrong! Lets hope not!!!
 
What did Waz do today? apart from photography, that is...
 
There was much banging coming from inside the engine room, this avo, and eventually he emerged with the Raw Water Pump. He had found a leak on the shaft seal. That meant he had to remove the whole thing, and bring it into the light of day...out on the dock. Now all we need to find is a machine shop or something...he hasn't decided what, yet. We will let you know:)




 
 
So, we are off walking. Take care and sleep well.
 
 

2 comments: