The Continuing Adventures of Mon and Waz

The Adventures of Captain Warren and First Mate Monica. Having completed America's Great Loop in 2014, life doesn't slow down for these intrepid travelers. Each year brings new challenges; some good, some bad, but challenges nonetheless! 2017 sees them renting an apartment while 'Untide' is For Sale. Life on terra firma isn't all it is cracked up to be, but more change is in the wind. Read on for the latest!

Friday 5 July 2013

Creative Juices

I have spoken recently about buying a sewing machine. We had noted the location of the Bernina store recently, and today at 4pm, decided to go and take a look see.
Never mind that 4pm is a crazy time to go anywhere in any large city...but I was in need of a challenge. The fact that half the city was enjoying a public holiday helped!
Talk about Bliss! Sewing Machines have come a long way since I purchased my last machine some 20 years ago, in the USA. It is currently packed into the storage locker in NZ. The Bernina machines of today need a licence to operate, me thinx. Anyway, I asked if they had any reconditioned machines at all, and were they for sale. The store manager was called and brought forth an old 830 model. The exact same model that was my first sewing machine, at 17 yrs old. This is one of the last of the metal bodies. It was also the same price I paid for it way back then.
Our father had bought two (I think he got a good price for buying two) and my sister and I each had to pay him back for the purchase. ..with interest, I believe. I remember being a bit peeved that we didnt get a choice of what to buy, but was eventually grateful, as those machines did fantastic service for both of us. We would each have our sewing machines on either end of the dining room table, going flat knackers sewing for ourselves and others. My sister made beautiful wedding dresses etc with her machine. ..anyway, I digress...memory lane, and all that:)


This machine is perfect for everything I might need to do on the boat. We bought pins, a quick-unpick, bobbins etc and left feeling very pleased with ourselves. Exactly what we wanted for the price we wanted to pay.

Because the Bernina store was more of a quilters paradise (I'm not much of a quilter, but LOVE fabrics) they pointed us in the direction of someone called JoAnn. Hmmm...Directions followed. Eventually we arrived at the right destination (required stopping and asking, though) which was actually where we thought it was, and the moment we walked through the door...oh dear! This is MAJOR trouble. Everything (or almost) any craftsperson could wish for. Lucky I had Waz with me because I might still be there, going row for row and filling the basket with everything I MIGHT want to do on the boat.
Creative juices flowing, we found the furnishing fabrics and spent considerable time debating the merits or otherwise of various prints. it could be so easy to go way out and do something fantastic, but in a small place, large prints wont go! Bummer! We also have the Sea green leather sofas to coordinate with. the cream may have to stay in the curtains (drapes), much to my chagrin, but we need light things in here. I am sorely tempted to introduce some pistachio, mauve (not yikky kind) or aubergine and grey/green...floral:)
We also found some self sticking velcro for the hatch leading to the fly-deck. We found threads for outdoor canvases, felt for sharp things that have devastated our ankles because we went down them front ways instead of sideways...let that be a lesson to us!!! and a container for all the bibs and bobs associated with my future sewing ventures.
The navy blue cover on the fly-deck wheel and instrument panel desperately needs restitching, so that may be the first order of business, before I take it downstairs to the laundry and wash it. We arent brave enough to wash it first. Might come out in several pieces.

I got a text from the cut and polisher (detailer?) guy this morning, telling me he will come on either wednesday or thursday of next week. They will start with sanding the hull above the waterline and then continue to do the rest of the fibreglass all over the boat. This will restore her to her former glory, hopefully, and help us to keep her in good shape. She will need to be waxed and polished at least twice a year.
Boats in salt water need to be washed regularly, and have their bottoms cleaned too. We may get a diver to clean her bottom, which hopefully is a lot less expensive than hauling her out for a day. She will get a bottom paint (and anti-foul) over the US winter, while we are in Florida.
Well, time for bed, again. It seems to come around with regular monotony:)
We are always amazed at how tired we are around 11pm. I guess we pack a lot into our days, and I'm sure the heat doesnt help.
It's goodnight from me and it's good night from him..(apologies to the Two Ronnies. The kiwis will know what I am talking about!)

No comments:

Post a Comment