The Continuing Adventures of Mon and Waz

The Adventures of Captain Warren and First Mate Monica. Having completed America's Great Loop in 2014, life doesn't slow down for these intrepid travelers. Each year brings new challenges; some good, some bad, but challenges nonetheless! 2017 sees them renting an apartment while 'Untide' is For Sale. Life on terra firma isn't all it is cracked up to be, but more change is in the wind. Read on for the latest!

Tuesday 2 July 2013

My Baby

Having this little Canon camera is fantastic. It is just so easy to take snaps...the whole idea behind the purchase, of course:)

I have to share photos of my baby...she is just a little girl, but is she efficient, and fantastic for this boat, (or any boat for that matter) and is perfect apartment sized. The extending handle is perfect for old people (I have a prolapsed disc in my lower back, so this means I dont have to do much bending) and the little swivel head goes everywhere without turning myself inside out! Dyson, of course:)


 
I will tell you about my shopping expedition yesterday...it was much more than taking photos.
 
I went with the express purpose of finding some different cuts of meat that were fast and easy to cook, and that I could freeze in portions. I had quite a long discussion with one of the butchers who was most  informative. New Zealand has some similar cuts of meat, but there are many that are peculiar to the USA, and indeed, some specific to Texas.
Warren and I had discussed the kind of food we would like to eat on this journey, and this had to include all three meals of the day. We favor sandwishes or salads for lunch, so with this in mind i requested a corned beef that I could cook, cool and cut into slices to be frozen. Instant lunch meat.I was told that it was the wrong season for Corned Beef. Hmm...why so? I could find it closer to the Holiday Season, I was told. Christmas, that is. He could order me one especially, but I didnt think that would be worthwhile. So, he took me on a tour of the cold cases with all the meat.
I came away with some great specials on Texas short Pork ribs. some with bone in, and others without. I was instructed to get a certain barb-b-q marinade in a bottle, which I obtained down the dressings aisle. He told me how to prepare them, and thats exactly what I did when I got back to the boat.
I poured the contents of the bottle into a tall plastic bowl, threw in all the ribs, squished them around in the marinade and put portion sizes into freezer bags. Bingo..instantly marinated meat for dinners:)
I kept one lot out for us to try for dinner. They are very chunky, so will have to experiement with baking them in our little oven.
 
Now, I have resisted cooking rice since being here, other than a risotto we had one night. I hate cleaning out the saucepan. On the way home from the supermarket, all fired up, I stopped in at target and bought us a rice cooker/steamer/saute thang for $29.99. I can make stews in this baby too:)
It fits nicely into one of the cupboards, after some tidying up, so we are not set for any occassion. We even have our 2 lb bag of calrose sushi rice!!
Speaking of sushi. We stopped in at a local Sushi restaurant for lunch yesterday. it has been run by the same Taiwanese couple for 29 yrs. The sushi wasnt half bad, but I noticed an awful lot of habanero and jalapeno kind sushi...hot, in other words. The best part of it was the soft shell crab!!
Well, we are off to Lowes to buy the fridge. Warren tells me he has a length of old carpet down below that will serve as a slippery slope down the interior stairwell from the fly bridge to the pilot house. Should be easy to get the rest of the way from there.
Talk to you later...

No comments:

Post a Comment