The Continuing Adventures of Mon and Waz

The Adventures of Captain Warren and First Mate Monica. Having completed America's Great Loop in 2014, life doesn't slow down for these intrepid travelers. Each year brings new challenges; some good, some bad, but challenges nonetheless! 2017 sees them renting an apartment while 'Untide' is For Sale. Life on terra firma isn't all it is cracked up to be, but more change is in the wind. Read on for the latest!

Saturday 26 October 2013

A cold wind blowing from the East!

Good morning:)
It is a quarter after 11am, and we are waiting for 11.30 to call the rental car company to come and pick us up at the marina.
We have been for a short walk to the Marina office to see if there is a package for us, but there isnt..so we came back. This is significant for two reasons.
1. I have on trousers, this morning. It is warm in the boat, but coooool outside. Waz has on shorts but a sweater. I have short sleeves on. I asked him if I would need a sweater..to which he replied.."No, you should be ok, you have trousers on". Not sure what one has to do with the other, but I took his advice and went without sweater.
2. I dont have a sweater I can put my fingers on easily.

We went to the office....it is only a couple of hundred yards away, but BRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Cccccooooollld! wind!!
So half way there I was cursing and promised to go looking for the sweater I know is packed somewhere in the bowels of the boat.
On the way back I was cursing more, because now we are walking right into the wind. I couldnt even think, I was so cold. This all came upon us suddenly, I might add. Hot yesterday, cold today..out of the sun, that is.

So, back on the boat, we go forw'd under the guest bed where everything that matters is kept..including two spare propellers.

we found the huge glad bags containing 'other' clothes..namely shoes...I KNEW I had packed my sheekskin slippers:) yayay! and they have rubber soles, so Im safe in the boat!!!
and..we found it...the blue sweatshirt..and the blue down jacket, and Waz's various other warm jackets which we know we will need on the next part of our journey, esp. if we are going into a cold easterly wind or worse, a northerly.
So, Im about to go out with my sweater on:). We will go fod shopping while we are out and then make our way to the garden District for my Dr appmt.
I have to tell you that the assaulted finger nail is now going icky colors both from the top and the bottom. I am thinking I will lose the nail before long, esp. now I am getting the stitches out of the nail. Once it is all loose, I guess anything can happen. I will keep it covered while Im doing boat chores...dont want to risk any problems, esp. as we wont have ready access to medical help while out  'on the road again' as it were.
Well...time to call the car company and get a pick up.
Talk to you later!

Later....

Heavens, how time flies! Here I am writing this on Saturday night!

Lets go back to picking up the car, shall we.
All duly done and we got the same weekend rate of $14.99 per day, which is great, and they gave us a little Jeep Patriot to tool around in  this time. It is kind of cute but a bit gutless on the foot plant!

We went straight to the supermarket, with a distinct timeline in mind, bought lunch there..sushi for mon and Fr. Chix for Waz (he likes the small opportunities he gets to do that!) which we ate in a hurry before heading off to my Dr appointment in the Garden Quarter, opp. Oschner Hospital.

We didnt have to wait as long this time, and I was seen to pretty quickly, all things considered.
They took x-rays ($60) and pronounced it to be healing well. He sat and looked at the finger, talked to me about the 'hardware' in my right wrist which fascinated him..he hadnt seen one like that! and the nurse came in and took the stitches out. Strangely enough the smalles stitches created the greatest discomfort. it was like being stuck with a very thin sharp needle. Small in the scheme of things:)

All that done, we headed home. Of couse we had to negotiate the 4.30pm friday traffic, but we are getting used to that by now. Nobody indicates much before changing lanes and there is one section of the highway where two right lanes join the main flow, and I need to be on the far right lane just past that join...so there is traffic on my right trying to go left in front of me and behind me and all around me, in fact. It can be a bit hair-raising at times. We got home in time to make a cuppa..restorative, always...and to make some leftovers for dinner.

Tim poked his nose in just as we were sitting down to eat, and of course there was enough food for this poor starving man to join us:) He also came back for dessert! lol. I have to feed him the dessert, because he went out and bought the ice-cream!

We didnt have a good night's sleep...it was noisy for some reason and I didnt turn the fan on when we turned out the light...the white noise of the fan over-rides the outside noises, most of the time.

Well, I will continue this in the morning..sunday, as I have lots to tell you about our Halloween experience in the city:)
boo!

No comments:

Post a Comment