The Continuing Adventures of Mon and Waz

The Adventures of Captain Warren and First Mate Monica. Having completed America's Great Loop in 2014, life doesn't slow down for these intrepid travelers. Each year brings new challenges; some good, some bad, but challenges nonetheless! 2017 sees them renting an apartment while 'Untide' is For Sale. Life on terra firma isn't all it is cracked up to be, but more change is in the wind. Read on for the latest!

Saturday 19 October 2013

It's raining, it's pouring...

It was forecast, but we are used to those forecasts not being entirely accurate.
As a result, we had battoned down the hatches..literally...and anticipated the worst..wind and rain. On awakening, both proved correct. The boat has been rocking and rolling on her poles all night and the loud sloshing sounds that come from water slapping against the hull have been somewhat in my consciousness during the night. Sitting here, my horizon rises and falls and the rain drips steadily down the windows. The sky is VERY grey.
This is most unfortunate actually, as we have a vehicle!!!

...and , it pays to ask!! yes, last weekend I had been quoted $14.99 per day with a 100 mile restriction per day on the vehicle ..which is a Chevy Cruze...about the size of a ford focus/toyota corolla...intermediate car size.
When I was booking the vehicle over the phone, they told me that the weekend promotion was not valid at their depot! ha!...I had it all written down (pays to do this and date it!) and was able to show the counter person that is what I was quoted. They also remembered that we had not been able to take advantage of our booking last weekend because of 'The Finger' episode.
So...I asked if they could honor that booking price?
The boss man came out and instructed the attendant on how to do it on the computer and we are $50 better off for it, over three days:)  :) Again, it pays to ask for any discounted prices..in this case, the widely advertised $9.99 per day inly on weekends. Of course that is for the smallest vehicle, and our price is for mid-sized. Still..good pricing vs $26 per day normal price.

We had planned to go early to the Cemetery, this morning...after buttermilk pancakes and bananas, of course:) and then to lunch to celebrate our 6th Anniversary.We dont fancy driving in strange neighborhoods at night, after all that we have been told about undesirable places...and we have indeed seen these places, and they are NOT attractive to outsiders.
So, we decided to look for a nice restaurant that serves a special lunch. I think we have settled on Clancy's, which was rated #1 by my emergency room doctor.

Here it is 8.30am and waz stayed in bed and decided to snooze for a while...I, on the other hand needed water, so Im sucking down a bottle of water as I write.

I have to say Im not too sure about the haircut I got yesterday...but then again, I never am!

To her credit, the hairdresser did listen carefully to what I wanted...but that didnt translate into the worlds best haircut for $50...that was $42 + tip!!! I forgot you are supposed to tip the hairdresser! sheesh.
Because of the humidity, my fine hair has become a curly birdsnest, and now it is just a shorter curly birdsnest...so..whats the fuss?? It just has to be easy to wash and shake dry while I am unable to use a device to straighten and curl to order. Oh well, as my dear mother always says...It will grow!!:)
...and...I can still uses scissors, even with a bung finger!!! so, perhaps I will remedy the situation  just a tiny bit...no?

the rain must have blown sideways in the night because the entire back cockpit deck is wet...and I forgot to bring in the mat by the door...it is a woollen one, so it is going to smell for a bit until it dries.

We also left some laundry hanging on the lines...some of which is going to need to be spun dry again. We have a drier on board, so no real hardship there...just time and electricity. Fortunately the latter is included in the reasonable price of the marina berth, so we dont feel we have to watch our electricity.

Waz still hasnt looked at the aircon in our bedroom, and fortunately we havnt needed it with the windows/portholes open at night, but tda might present an opportunity to take a look while we have the means (car) to retrieve any parts, should they be required.

I have made contact with an online friend who lives in Baton Rouge, and she has indicated that next weekend (we will have car again) would be a good time for us all to meet and she will be delighed to show us her city. We look forward to that Connie!

Im going to go and put the griddle on to heat for our pancakes. We bought a large bottle of buttermilk this last shopping run, in order to marinate our Aligator meat...but we wont need it all for those purposes...hence the pancakes. I remember I have some frozne blueberries in the freezer!!!yay!
That reminds me of another thing that needs doing...defrosting he freezer and cleaning out the fridge. a bit challenging when both are very full.

Well, we may not get to the cemetery today, but we sure as heck will get to our celebratory lunch...stand by for pics (if I remember) and descriptions at worst:)
Enjoy your day, all of you, and we will talk later!

No comments:

Post a Comment