The Continuing Adventures of Mon and Waz

The Adventures of Captain Warren and First Mate Monica. Having completed America's Great Loop in 2014, life doesn't slow down for these intrepid travelers. Each year brings new challenges; some good, some bad, but challenges nonetheless! 2017 sees them renting an apartment while 'Untide' is For Sale. Life on terra firma isn't all it is cracked up to be, but more change is in the wind. Read on for the latest!

Sunday 26 January 2014

Farmers Market and Pumpkin Soup

Well, they do rather go together, don't you think?

However, I had the pumpkin for about 10 days, meaning to make it into Soup. Today I did just that. I want to share my recipe with you.

Butternut Soup.

Finely chop two rashers of streaky bacon and place in a med. sized saucepan on medium heat. When sizzling, add one large rough chopped onion and blanche, while stirring.
Reduce heat.

Add one teaspoon of curry powder and cook out while stirring.
Add 1 inch of finely chopped fresh ginger root.

Turn heat up and add 4 cups of water..hot or cold, doesn't matter, and bring to boil.
Carefully add about 4 cups of cubed butternut pumpkin (peeled) or other pumpkin such as Kabocha, but needs to be firm flesh kind.
Peel and cube one medium potato of the mashing kind. Add to pot.
Add two level teaspoons of powdered Chicken stock and mix in.
(***Alternately, instead of the 4 cups of water and the 2 tspns of dry stock, you can use liquid, ready- made chicken stock! Make sure you taste it before adding more salt...to make it less salty, add small amounts of water until the right mix for you.)

Boil the lot on med. heat until the veg is mushy.

With a stick blender, puree the contents of the pot into a thick creamy soup.

Add salt/pepper to taste.

Serve hot with crusty sourdough bread or other favorites.
I like to swirl a little fresh cream into the center of my soup to cool it slightly, and sprinkle a little chopped chive or parsley for added color and flavor.

Im afraid I forgot to take a photo of the bowl before eating it all up, but this is what it looks like in the pot.

I happen to like my soup with Kavli bread.
 
...and as I tend to work backwards, I am going to take you to the Farmer's Market in Punt Gorda, with me. This is the Saturday Market in the center of town.
 
We had been to the market when we were here in February, and remembered that it was interesting, with lots of food samples. Sure enough, guacamole was there for the sampling as we entered the market. Also Olives, salsa, and assorted other foodstuffs too many to mention or even remember.
We did come across a 'Dip' vendor...well, he was purveying the dried contents which you add to sour cream and mayo, which was yummy....so yummy that we bought a sachet with the powder, ready to add to the sour cream we had in the fridge, right? Wrong! I had forgotten to get any! Damn!
 
I am drawn to any of the garden or flower stalls usually, as I miss having a garden.
The place was humming...sometimes literally along with the guitarist playing standards which all the mostly baby boomers were delighting in.
 
I love Tillandsia, and their delicate blossoms. The colors are so soft and lovely.



The vendor had a plethora of these stunning Pitcher Plants.


Cymbidium Orchids

...and so many Bromeliad with their colorful blooms.







These strawberries just begged to be eaten...but I already had a large pottle of the at home, on the boat.
 
Lots of craft, Raw Honey, cheese, artisan breads, Cuban food, trailers full of fresh farm produce and citrus. I tried some tangelos and needed a paper towel, which wasn't offered, unfortunately, but I enjoyed the juiciness of it. It is good to see the crowds out in the cool morning, despite the sun.
 
Lots of dogs out and about for walkies with their owners/slaves, including a lovely St Bernard. I cant imagine how that dog fares in the extreme heat and humidity of the summer months down here.
 
Unfortunately we had done our marketing the day before, on Friday, and we didn't have room in the fridge for anything else....which reminds me...I need to clean it out tomorrow, there is a nasty smell coming from within, and I need to find it's origins.
 
Well, it is again time for bed. Waz is snoring beside me...as he does:) waiting for me to finish and go to bed. I will lock up and check that all is well out on the deck before making my way downstairs with my sleepy man.
Night Night.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment