The Continuing Adventures of Mon and Waz

The Adventures of Captain Warren and First Mate Monica. Having completed America's Great Loop in 2014, life doesn't slow down for these intrepid travelers. Each year brings new challenges; some good, some bad, but challenges nonetheless! 2017 sees them renting an apartment while 'Untide' is For Sale. Life on terra firma isn't all it is cracked up to be, but more change is in the wind. Read on for the latest!

Saturday 18 January 2014

Taking time out for...

Nothing much, actually. We have talked about the lack of good coffee...specifically Latte, which is mostly what we both drink, and how we might achieve the desired drink. He have our own 'hot' mugs for the car, packed away in NZ, and I decided that if we want good coffee (Latte) we will have to make it ourselves before we set out for somewhere.

That having been decided, I went off on my own, late morning, to find the required cups. I had an idea I might find them at Marshalls, having seen them there before. You can never be quite sure what you are going to find at Marshalls, being an 'outlet' of kinds, but it is always fun finding out:)

Waz had chores to do at the boat, and got a few done while I was gone. He cleaned the prop on the back of the boat, finished the window catches, which he fashioned out of Aluminum and then dipped them in plastic. The finished article is excellent! He also got the dinghy out and went under the dock, as it was low tide, and took a good look around at what needed to be done. He has been in the process of changing out the round washers on the load bearing timbers, for square washers of a larger surface area. That is almost complete...the ones he can get off, that is. The dinghy is now back on board and covered up again. The propeller is drying off and will be re-stowed in due course. Most of the barnacles and other 'stuff' is now off it....here is what it looked like before...
 
 
We were up just after 8am this morning...it was cold enough to turn the heater on and we sat all bundled up until the room heated up. Our usual cup of tea or coffee was consumed and then we decided that we may as well have breakfast. If we have a really good breakfast, we only need two meals a day. Works quite well for the most part. Hash Brown potatoes and scrambled eggs seem to keep us going for ages, so that's what we ate...Waz had the small amount of left over taco mix chicken, from last night's dinner as well.

I ostensibly went out to do the food shopping, but of course that didn't happen till I was almost on my last legs.
On the way to Marshalls, I stopped off at a furniture store which has been looking for staff. I wanted to experience the place before deciding if I would like to work there. I don't think I have the clothes in the wardrobe to be of use to them. The one lady salesperson (oops...associate!) was very well dressed in black skirt, white shirt and a very smart longer jacket. I don't even have a nice pair of winter shoes!
The furniture was really nice without being too pricey. That is one thing that did impress me...the Prices! After buying furniture in NZ, the items I would have bought were half or less than half the price of what one would pay in NZ. Figures!

Moving on to Marshalls, I took my time looking around. I found some Lemon Pepper Linguine (We love linguine!), and in the clearance aisle/basket, I found another rug for the bed. We have been using the lap rug from the salon, on the bed at night, along with the other rug, which fortunately is the right size. The new one is grey and the same size as the bigger of the two...and works well. We should be toastier tonight.

It is 5.30pm, and I am sitting beside the open door...which just made me think it is time to close it. Nice to have the fresh air, but the cool is creeping in. It is now CLOSED!
I might even have to put a sweater on:(

My list for the supermarket included mascarpone, with which to make Tiramisu..yes, again. I had another idea on how to make it more easily. It was!..easy, that is.
 That is already made and gestating in the fridge in the container that I used last time that worked so well...it has a sealable top!

I didn't get back to the boat until almost 3pm! Heavens time flies when you are having fun!!

Waz had not stopped to eat anything, thinking I would be home any time now...silly boy! I told him I MIGHT be away a while:)
We put the kettle on and enjoyed a cuppa and some corn chips with hummus for a snack to stave off the hunger, sitting in the sun on the fly deck. Using my new curtain is great! it means we can sit up there with some shade. Yay!

I have stowed all the fruit and veg and made the dessert, and put the brown rice in the rice cooker to cook, started the curry for mains and now have to sit back and relax while the rice takes an hour to cook. I am putting some purple sweat potato in this curry...it might add some sweetness to it. I like raisins in my curry too, but don't want it too sweet.

What a glorious day it has been. Cool, but sunny and warm in the sheltered areas. I had two sweaters, a scarf and a jacket on when I left the boat this morning, but came home without the jacket, one sweater and the scarf on. It got a bit hot in the car.

I am waiting for the time to be right so that I can Skype with the youngest child. My brother introduced him to flying lessons yesterday (in NZ) and he apparently went up for the first time. I can imagine this was a bit of a thrill for him. He would probably be a very good pilot...I cant wait to find out his impression of the experience:)
He should be out of bed (it is Sunday in NZ, today) by noon, so I will give him a buzz then! Wake UP!!!

That's it for today...Saturday!  Ciao for now.
No crystal ball for tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Have you thought about painting all the running gear to prevent barnacle growth? I use Pettit prop coat barnacle barrier on shafts, struts, props, trim tabs with excellent results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, Waz has had big boats for 40+ yrs and is very knowledgeable about these things. We are doing what is necessary for our circumstances, right now. Thanks for your suggestions. He recommends 'propspeed' as a product to use.

    ReplyDelete