The Continuing Adventures of Mon and Waz

The Adventures of Captain Warren and First Mate Monica. Having completed America's Great Loop in 2014, life doesn't slow down for these intrepid travelers. Each year brings new challenges; some good, some bad, but challenges nonetheless! 2017 sees them renting an apartment while 'Untide' is For Sale. Life on terra firma isn't all it is cracked up to be, but more change is in the wind. Read on for the latest!

Wednesday 1 January 2014

New Years Eve Day and Bun Fight

I might just start this with the Bun Fight, as it is upper-most in my mind.
You don't know what a 'Bun Fight' is?

It is a NZ (it may also be Aussie)  term for a 'DO' (another kiwi term?) or gathering where food is served as part of the proceedings.

The formal event that was the New Year's party at the Isles Yacht Club, began for us around 7.30-ish.
We were all 'Tarted up' (oops, is that another NZ term?) in our formal 'togs' (oh dear...another one? It is 17th century English, apparently related to TOGA!)..the men in Tux and the wimmin in fancy clothes and jewelry.
We all spent a short time at the Bar in the 'regular' dining room where ordinary members who were not part of the New Year proceedings, were eating a delicious looking dinner.
Len took Waz and me outside to show us the attached Marina and boats with festive lights on...uh oh! giving Waz ideas for next year, lol.

The predominantly late middle aged gathering was decked out in finery...some of which one might call 'inappropriate for age'...but they danced up a storm to the excellent band, on the dance floor. Some of the moves were 'surprising' to say the least:)
Back to the story!

We found our table for 7 (number 8) and Waz and I sat down with Janet, for a chat. Other soon joined us and the tables filled up as 8pm approached.

Chefs bearing food started their various stations, and people began lining up for the cold, fresh Seafood.
I know you have already seen these photos, but I am using them to illustrate the story...

I enjoyed about 1/2 dozen sweet/salty oysters, a couple of crab claws and a few shrimp. Waz sampled everything also.
He also 'stole' things off my plate!
 
The station that got most of my attention was the one just behind our table. Wagu Beef (from Japan) and Ahi Tuna. The chef had a hot plate going and initially he was putting beef and seared tuna into little hamburger buns, but soon quit that because everyone wanted the meat without the bread. He was also serving pulled pork, over there.
I went back for a couple of servings of the excellent, lightly seared tuna and Wagu beef, heated on the grill....and as I said...Waz stole some of these morsels from my plate:) I accompanied these delicious items with some horseradish and sour cream. Yum!
 
The menu was extensive, so I hope I don't miss anything out:
Further around from that station was a chafing dish with pan fried potatoes and broccoli...which I was surprised to see, as it doesn't usually do well under these group food occasions, but no matter.
The next chef was carving very rare roast beef, which was also delicious. He had Banana leaf wrapped Mahimahi (Dolphin fish) to serve also, and I somehow forgot to sample that!
 
Going around the semi-circle further, was the She-Crab soup. This was a creamy crab bisque-type soup which also had tobiko (those tiny orange fish eggs you sometimes get on Sushi) in it, which gave it an interesting crunch, which I enjoyed. Very tasty and slightly sweet.
 Then came the Conch fritters, coconut curry chicken satay spears, tiny individual Beef Wellingtons and Lobster Macaroni/cheese...really quite nice!
 
There was also an Antipasto station which included cheese, crackers and fruit. I didn't have any of that , barring the fruit.
It is interesting to note here, that the broccoli was the only vegetable to be had other than the potatoes.. There were no salads, but there were some cold asparagus spears on the Antipasto table, Waz tells me.
 
We didn't over-indulge, and danced for a while to shake the dinner down and also to enjoy the band, loud that they were.
 
Dessert consisted of Ice-cream, Crepes Suzette, Bananas Foster (in syrup and flambe'd, as were the suzettes), chocolate sauce, nuts and sprinkles, whipped cream and maraschino cherries...the latter being so that you could make your own Ice-cream sundae. Which we did.
I think Waz had three of the latter!! This was only one ball of IC, of course, which is his justification for having three. I have to admit to sharing his first one:) Then I got my own.
The others enjoyed being able to make their own variety also.
 
Coffee was a long time coming, and we had to ask for it, but otherwise the service was good and the servers were run off their feet. Buffets are challenging for most servers, because of the multiple plates and cutlery used that has to constantly be removed from tables.
 
 
The Festivities.
The tables looked lovely, and there were plastic hats, noise makers (ack!) and crowns in the center of the tables. Everyone got into the spirit of the affair and donned the hats and crowns and made good use of the noise makers. As if it wasn't noisy enough:)
We did likewise...as you saw from the photos I posted last night.


This is the first time I have seen Waz in a Tuxedo, and he looked  excellent!
 
As the clock counted down, the champagne glasses were filled, and we all embraced, as you do, to wish each other a New Year filled with health, happiness and prosperity.
I don't know that any of our goals have changed with the advent of the New Year. We will keep on keeping on.
 
So, what happened prior to the 7.30pm gathering?? Glad you asked!
 
 
 We woke early (for us) because we knew we had a few things to accomplish during the day. First up was to find Waz's black dress trousers, and good black shoes, which we were sure we had packed. I was also sure I had make-up somewhere on the boat. I had looked for it during the previous week, without much success, however. We turned the place upside down looking for all three items, without any luck. Bother!
That meant we had to get going and find some to buy. Macy's was the first choice for Make-up because I knew they had Clinique brand which is about the only brand my sensitive skin will tolerate. I also happens to be a bit pricey. Minimal is good! We found some eye-shadow that would be versatile, and a lip pencil. Waz gulped at the price! Well, I did too, actually, I wont divulge, but suffice to say there wasn't a lot of change from $100!WOW!
Next stop was Marshalls. We HOPED that Marshalls would have trousers not only that fit, but that were appropriate. We decided to buy some even though Len had kindly offered the use of the Tuxedo ones, but we figgered we would need them in the future. While there we also found a white shirt that will be useful for any other formal or semi-formal use.
Shoes were next, and thank goodness for Payless discount shoes. We both found shoes that would work for most occasions, without spending a fortune. Now we are kitted out! Yay!
 
We both have 'foot issues' which somewhat limit our choices, but we were in luck!!
 
 
We ate a quick lunch at the Port Charlotte Mall, just before noon, and came home for me to sew my evening jacket, which I had been procrastinating over making. I have been waiting for inspiration...my story, and I am sticking to it!
 
Before I could start sewing, there were some personal grooming issues to attend to, so I took the old nail polish off my fingernails, and Waz got a hairline clean up. I also ironed the new trousers and the shirt, so we could put them away.
NOW I could begin sewing.
 
I had cut the pattern out the night before, so I was ready just to sew. The fabric is fine and glittery, and of course, every time you handle the fabric, it leaves a trail of glitter. It is everywhere.
Because the fabric is so fine and I have no way of finishing the inside seams, I decided to make French Seams. This means that the inside is neat and tidy, and there is no possibility of the seams pulling out.
The finished product came about three hours later, and by 4pm, I was making a coffee and having a sit down.
 
Getting dressed for our night out, Waz decided that the formal shirt he had been loaned was one size too small at the neck and he wouldn't be comfy, for the evening, so he opted to wear the new white shirt, which is a neck size larger. Much more comfortable.
 
He looked very spiffy, all togged out, as you can see!
Ready to go!
 
Nothing like some basic black to 'dress' with something over the top! The jacket is finished and ready to go.
 
So, that's about it, for New Year.
 
Warren just came in with the news that we are expected at Ros and Butch's house across the road for brunch, today! I forgot that Ros had invited us, the first time we met them, just after we had docked here.
We also missed putting out the trash, not expecting there to be a pick up on New Years Day! Hmmmm Len will NOT be pleased, as we were anticipating that tomorrow. I don't think their trash bin was put out last night, as a result.
 
And, the pump-out man has arrived! oh yay! We are always happy to see his smiling face:) What a way to start the New Year!! Clean and tidy. Well, as to the last...I was going to clean the boat inside today. Looks like that might be an afternoon chore, at this stage. We have to be sociable across the road, first.
This is a lovely neighborhood...people are so friendly, and it is quiet and safe.
 
More tomorrow!!! Ciao for now.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. You both look AMAZING! Love from Adele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't you sweet! Glad you are keeping tabs on us:) How is life?...send us a mail. You have my addy don't you>>>? xx

      Delete