The Continuing Adventures of Mon and Waz

The Adventures of Captain Warren and First Mate Monica. Having completed America's Great Loop in 2014, life doesn't slow down for these intrepid travelers. Each year brings new challenges; some good, some bad, but challenges nonetheless! 2017 sees them renting an apartment while 'Untide' is For Sale. Life on terra firma isn't all it is cracked up to be, but more change is in the wind. Read on for the latest!

Friday 27 December 2013

Boxing Day....

I don't think many people here call it that, but it seems the easiest thing to call the 'Day after Christmas Day', which is an otherwise cumbersome moniker.

What did we do?
Apart from getting up at a reasonable hour, around 8am, had some breakfast and went off to do a few 'things'. First on the agenda was to find Blood Donors, not far from here, but a part of town that we had previously not explored. It was closer than anticipated, and we went inside to enquire about Waz giving Plasma, which he would normally give in NZ.

After some discussion, he was ushered into a side room (it is all very confidential...I was excluded!!!) where he was asked the 651 questions (no, not literally) and passed with flying colors, because they then took him into the donation room and put a slot into his arm and extracted a pint of whole blood.
I took this opportunity to learn more about some celebrities than I would otherwise not know or care about, from the Wimmins magazines, as they are known, in the 'waiting room'.
I was constantly asked if I would like some cookies, sugar drinks, snack bars, etc...all high sugar things, and in the end, I said with a rather tart tone...NO THANK YOU!:) They left me alone after that!

Waz took half an hour to bleed into the bag, so I was well versed in what the Stars think and do. Most enlightening!!! NOT!''
Why don't I give blood???? Because I may have Mad Cow disease! well, yes, we know this, but for those who are unenlightened....If you had been in the UK, or EU countries any time from 1980 until present day, you may be a carrier of the Jakob Creutzfeld Disease. This is commonly known as Mad Cow Disease.
Believe me, I have tried to given them my blood, but they turn me away all the time. I have perfectly good  blood...but I would never forgive myself if I gave someone Mad Cow! well, you wouldn't, would you?...so I don't!

I do get to indulge in the coffee, soft drinks and high sugar everything else, though, should I choose, as a 'supporter' of a donor. I find this a bit weird....although in NZ you are sat in a nice lounge and fed chocolate cookies and hot chocolate, tea or coffee! very civilized!. Here they don't do the choc. bikkies thing...no wonder I refused the other things!

Having bled himself, we went in search of some a new toilet brush, which was duly found at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Have you ever been in one of their stores in the USA? There is more BEYOND than anything else. An amazing place! Phew..it is all a bit exhausting though, there being sooooo much 'stuff' in there.
Mission #2 accomplished!
Mission #3 Was a little less obvious and perhaps might get accomplished. We were searching for some 'sophisticated' fabric which would make up into a sophisticated outfit for our New Years Eve party at the Isles Yacht Club. This apparently is a Black Tie do, so I want to look the part.
It took a while, but we did finally find the required fabric, x 2...we also bought enough plain black for a sleeveless top...and two patterns which I can make something interesting with.

Hard to believe that all this took all day.
We had a brunch before going out...no breakfast, just brunch. Len's leftovers are still going, and we enjoyed scallops and crab meat in a large frittata, along with fresh spinach and onions. Yum!

This held us over until we returned to the boat. Len was home early, and Heidi, Stef's mom was by the pool, so we joined them with a hummus dip and some corn chips, for happy hour.

Stef came home around 6pm. She had had to work, and then they were off out to dinner. We stayed in and made use of yet more leftovers in the form of the shrimp from the cocktail...these jumbo shrimp are lovely and sweet, and fantastic on a salad. No dressing!

Oh..I forgot the Library visit on the way, after the blood letting. Heavens!
We went into the Port Charlotte Library to join up for three months...$10 please.
I wanted to be able to borrow magazines, as we cant collect them on the boat...space being the issue, again. I borrowed a couple of Vogue mags. to see what people are wearing these days (not previously having been that interested...I mean...we live on a boat, what haute couture do you need??) and what could I make to look 'current'.
I also borrowed some Psychology Today mags. I do like their articles, and have previously subscribed to their mag. This should keep me out of trouble for the next week, until they are due back.
Waz found and bought another Tom Clancy novel, ...hardback, (900 odd pages) which we purchased from the Friends of the Library store for $1.50! I love it:)


And...wouldn't you know it...and this is why the afternoon became an all day affair...
I forgot to tell you about the trip to the Marine Trader Store...This was after the blood and before the library!

Waz needed to find another BOW ROLLER for a second anchor to be attached on top of the present Bow Roller for the primary anchor. This is in case we need two anchors for any particular reason. We are told these things do occur! Best to be prepared. I will send photos when it has been installed!...


I guess you could say that the Marine Traders is organized?? What do you think?
 
I had to take some photos of the dried Star Fish...just for you:)
 
 
 
It wasn't a good night for me. I had eaten something spicy for lunch...spicy crab meat? and was suffering from reflux. I couldn't find the peptide in the dark and didn't want to wake Waz, so I got up and read on the computer till about 1.30am. The neighbors were having a get together, and at about that time, their guests left...loud cars and motorbikes. It was also cooler at that time of the morning, so I turned the fan to low, in the bedroom. I think I might have been a bit cool after that, because somehow I managed to pull the sheet out of the bottom of the bed. Bah!
I mostly enjoy a good night's sleep.
More on the 27th, Dec. next.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment