The Continuing Adventures of Mon and Waz

The Adventures of Captain Warren and First Mate Monica. Having completed America's Great Loop in 2014, life doesn't slow down for these intrepid travelers. Each year brings new challenges; some good, some bad, but challenges nonetheless! 2017 sees them renting an apartment while 'Untide' is For Sale. Life on terra firma isn't all it is cracked up to be, but more change is in the wind. Read on for the latest!

Wednesday 25 December 2013

Christmas Dinner

We joined Len, Stefi and Janet (who drove them) at the lovely condo of Tony and Ruth, for Christmas Day Dinner. Two of Ruth's sisters were there...I learned that there were 10 kids in their family, the first five being a year apart!!WOW! ...their family and friends of R and T. It was a casual affair but Ruth and Tony put on a fantastic spread!
I love the way Americans get dressed for the occasion in sparkly clothing and jewelry and their dishes, napkins etc are specific to the season. Such dedication to the traditions surrounding each 'holiday' is admirable, but I am not about to start doing it too. I have no room for all the 'stuff'...and let me tell you, this is 'Serious Stuff'!

I admire it in other people's homes, but somehow lack the motivation to do likewise. Maybe one day when we are more settled...if that day will ever come??:)

Ruth had prepared a stuffed Pork Loin, a super tender Braised Brisket, baked root veg, including parsnips and carrot, along with some pumpkin. Barb made a caesar salad, which was yummy, and a waldorf salad accompanied the food. I had not had red jacket potatoes mashed with their skins on, before, but they were excellent.

Dessert followed with a Grandma's apple pie with cream...Ruth added Raisins, which is the perfect addition to an apple pie, to my way of thinking, and she also made a favorite cranberry dessert. I cant even begin to think what is in it, but light and fluffy it was, and not too sweet. Perfect! The coffee was good, as was the company, the music, and the general feeling of comfort and good cheer. What lovely, generous people we are surrounded by.
We are eternally grateful for being included in these celebrations, and cant thank our hosts enough for their generosity.

We made our way home just after 8pm...and the reason you are not seeing any photos??? I plain forgot! I got so caught up with meeting all the new people, enjoying their company and conversation and eating the lovely food, that I didn't even THINK of the camera...wow! that surely speaks volumes. Unfortunately, you will have to make those pictures in your own heads.

Next time, I promise!

So we are now settled down for the evening and it isn't yet 9pm. I think a walk is in order, don't you?

Waz has nearly finished his book, so I will allow him to knock that one off before getting up for our evening constitutional.

I hope you have all enjoyed the festivities these past few days, and don't feel over fed, overwhelmed or over -anything. We have  a New Year to look forward to!!!
Ciao for now, and good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment